Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lotte Reiniger. Genius.

Lotte Reiniger is an unknown in the USA but very beloved in my home country of Germany where she was born.
I have decided to introduce more specifically German culture via my blog, there is so much wonderful art to introduced to.
I am starting of with a bang....
Please let me introduce you to Lotte Reinigers World.










Lotte Reiniger was one of the twentieth century's major animation artists, pioneering a unique and distinctive style of black and white silhouette animation in her interpretations of classic myths and fairy tales.
Lotte Reiniger has the distinction of creating the very first feature animation, her enthralling The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926), an epic silhouette film featuring highly ornate shapes of exotic lands, gallant heroes, nefarious magic, and a rousing climax with a multi-headed beast. A German leftist in the age of fascism, after the war she moved to England, where she continued to build a visionary oeuvre totalling over fifty films, mostly shorts, many of them for BBC Children’s TV. She made her last film, The Rose and the Ring (1979), at the age of 80. In addition to their craft and charm, her films have two outstanding features: they are highly intricate, yet also opaque, inviting viewers to fill in details with their own imagination, thus creating a captivating aesthetic as commanding today as ever.












...and very much sampled by American artist Kara Walker.
( I have never heard her mention Lotte Reiniger as a direct influence for her work....)

1 comment:

jezebel said...

I do love her, I do! I've seen the Adventures of Prince Ahmed, but for some very foolish reason, I've neglected to do any further research. You've changed that for me, Ulla! I love visiting your blog so very much (and have been for a while now.)