Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Sade - a truly chic performer. These videos are from 1996. Only thirteen years ago and fast forward about how the most recent MTV Awards and that it was all truly riff-raff. Truly mediocre artists dressed like clowns, putting each other down. The lowest common denomiator. True Style will never die.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Friday, September 11, 2009
I went to Oscar de la Renta's Event at the Madison Avenue Store. It was a special treat to be serenaded by the handsome Mr. de la Renta, Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Barbara Walters. What a glorious New York City Moment!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Monday, September 7, 2009
The seventeen chapters documenting the history of beauty include:
1. The Aesthetic Ideal in Ancient Greece
2. Apollonian and Dionysiac
3. Beauty as Proportion and Harmony
4. Light and Color in the Middle Ages
5. The Beauty of Monsters
6. From the Pastourelle to the Donna Angelicata
7. Magic Beauty between the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Centuries
8. Ladies and Heroes
9. From Grace to Disquieting Beauty
10. Reason and Beauty
11. The Sublime
12. Romantic Beauty
13. The Religion of Beauty
14. The New Object
15. The Beauty of Machines
16. From Abstract Forms to the Depths of Material
17. The Beauty and the Media
Published by Rizzoli, New York (2004)
Banned Books Week celebrates the freedom to choose and the freedom to express one’s opinion even if that opinion might be considered unorthodox or unpopular and stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of those viewpoints to all who wish to read them. After all, intellectual freedom can exist only where these two essential conditions are met. Observed since 1982, Banned Books Week reminds Americans not to take this precious democratic freedom for granted.
5 Book that have been banned somewhere in America over the past 124 years.
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Marc Twain.
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (and all the other books in the Harry Potter series), by J.K Rowling
Celebrate the Freedom to read during Banned Books Week from September 26th 2009.
Go to the American Library Association's website, www.ala.org , for more info.